Types of Financial Aid


  • Federal Pell Grant
  • PA State Grant
  • Federal Supplemental Educational Opportunity Grant (FSEOG)


Pennsylvania Highlands Community College awards Foundation Scholarships in August for the upcoming academic year. In order to be considered for a scholarship, students must be registered, must have a calculated FAFSA on file and must meet the electronic scholarship application deadline date of May 15. These scholarships are considered gift aid and do not have to be repaid.

Federal Work-Study

The Federal Work-Study program is a self-help award that provides students with the opportunity to work and earn a paycheck to help pay for their educational expenses. Students who are awarded and accept the Federal Work-Study program can typically work up to 15 hours per week and receive $9 per hour.

Pennsylvania Highlands Community College offers Federal Work-Study positions in different areas throughout the college campuses. The college pays wages through direct deposit on a biweekly basis. To apply for Federal Work-Study, students must complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA), Federal Work-Study forms through Human Resources, and interview with the position supervisor. Available jobs are posted in the Financial Aid Office and on myPEAK. Interested students may contact the Financial Aid Office for additional information and assistance.

Federal Direct Stafford Loan

This is a self-help award that must be repaid when the student enrolls for less than six credits or leaves the college for any reason. There are two types of Federal Direct Stafford Loans; Subsidized and Unsubsidized. The Subsidized Stafford Loan is awarded based on financial need as determined by the FAFSA. Interest on the Subsidized Stafford Loan does not accrue during authorized periods of deferment, while the student is enrolled for at least half-time status or before repayment begins. The Unsubsidized Stafford Loan is not need based. Interest on the Unsubsidized Stafford loan accrues once the loan is disbursed to the student account. With the Stafford Loan, students are awarded an amount up to $5,500 for first year students with no more than $3,500 in Subsidized Stafford loans. A second year student can receive up to $6,500 with no more than $4,500 in Subsidized Stafford loans. Students must complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA), be enrolled in a degree program for at minimum 6 credits in order to be eligible for either Stafford Loan. To learn more about the Direct Stafford Loan program click here.