The Medical Coding and Billing degree focuses on the growing field of electronic billing and reimbursement. Learn to create and use electronic medical records as the system for clinical, administrative, and revenue capture in health care. The allocation of healthcare dollars has produced a shift in the billing system where facilities are finding it more profitable to employ individuals with expertise in both coding and billing. Those with experience in managing electronic medical records are highly employable.
A medical coding and billing specialist abstracts information from a patient’s medical chart, applies the proper codes for reimbursement, and then completes and submits the applicable insurance form for payment of medical services. Additional duties include investigating denied claims, resubmitting claims for additional information, bill collection, and creating electronic files.
- Protect the security of medical records to ensure that confidentiality is maintained per HIPAA laws.
- Review records for completeness, accuracy, and compliance with all applicable regulations.
- Enter appropriate codes for treatment, procedures, disease, and diagnosis to the patient chart for billing.
- Utilize the Revenue Cycle approach to complete the billing process.
- Enter data, such as demographic characteristics, history and extent of disease, diagnostic procedures, or treatment to the patient chart.
- Compile and maintain patients’ medical records to document conditions and treatment and to provide data for research or cost control and care improvement efforts.
- Process, prepare, and submit appropriate insurance forms for payment to third-party payor.
Your ability to start here and earn a bachelor’s degree anywhere makes Penn Highlands the right college choice. Plus, you will save thousands of dollars. Be smart, and get your associate degree with us before transferring on to something greater.
Penn Highlands has signed transfer agreements to continue your studies in Medical Coding & Billing with:
- Saint Francis University
- Seton Hill University
Ready? Schedule a visit to discuss your future. Transfer options are different based on the college you plan to attend; our team can help you determine the right path for what you are looking for.
- Online Only (With programs that are fully online, some classes may be offered at our physical locations.)