All students, faculty, staff and visitors should take an active role in their own safety and security while on College property. You can help maintain a safe environment for everyone at the College by following these guidelines:
- Be aware of and know your surroundings at all times.
- Walk in well lit and well traveled areas after dark.
- Try not to walk alone. Walk with a friend or in groups.
- Immediately report all suspicious persons, vehicles, or activities.
- Immediately report all crimes, security problems, or hazardous conditions.
- Keep yourself informed. Check e-mail, bulletin boards, etc. for “College Safety Alert” notices that pertain to specific security conditions at the College. Take advantage of informational programs.
- Never prop open any locked exterior doors or leave ground floor windows open.
- Never study alone in an isolated area of a college building.
- Lock your car and secure valuables when using parking facilities. Keep your car locked with your windows rolled up. Remember where you parked and walk confidently to your vehicle.
- Know the “Student Code of Conduct”. Abide by it and encourage others to do so.
- Know the emergency exits and locations of fire alarm pull stations and extinguishers in your building.
- Lock offices whenever you are not present.
- Keep office and building keys with you and never loan them to unauthorized persons.
- Never abandon your belongings (i.e. purses, book bags, cell phones, keys, etc.). It is common for people to walk away and leave their belongings unattended. Take them with you.
- Do not bring excessively valuable belongings to campus. Avoid the showing of valuables. If you value something, chances are someone else will too.
- Keep valuables out of sight. Do not leave cell phones, computers, or other items visible in your vehicle. Lock valuables in your trunk.
- Record serial numbers. Make it a habit to record serial numbers of your belongings. Engrave items.
Office of Security and Safety
Email Security and Safety