Contact Us Apply

Drug-Free College Environment

The Pennsylvania Highlands Community College procedure for a Drug and Alcohol Abuse Prevention Program is as follows:

The unlawful manufacture, distribution, dispensation, possession, or use of drugs and alcohol is prohibited on any property that is a part of the College. Alcohol may be served at college events with prior permission of the President, but under no circumstances at a student event. Any employee or student violating the policy will be referred to a rehabilitation program and/or disciplined in an appropriate manner, up to and including termination or employment or expulsion from academic course work. Employee discipline, when appropriate, shall be taken under the relevant provisions of Collective Bargaining Agreements and College policies. (For more information on the approved Alcohol and Drug Free Workplace refer to Policy 205 in Employee handbook.)

An employee or student convicted of a drug-related offense must notify the College within five (5) days of conviction. Students will report a conviction to the Office of Security. Employees must report to the Office of Human Resources.

This program is provided to you in compliance with Section 1213 of the Higher Education Act of 1965, as amended by the Drug-Free Schools and Communities Act Amendments of 1989. The following material will provide you with information concerning:

  • The annual distribution in writing to each employee, and to each student.
  • Standards of conduct that clearly prohibit the unlawful use of illicit drugs and alcohol by students and employees on its property or any College activity.
  • A description of applicable legal sanctions under law for the unlawful possession or distribution of illicit drugs or alcohol.
  • A description of health risks associated with the use and/or abuse of illicit drugs or the abuse of alcohol.
  • A description of drug/alcohol counseling available to students and/or employees.

All students and employees are expected to adhere to this policy. If you need further information, please contact the Director of Security & Safety (for students) or the Associate VP of Administration (for employees).