Cross Country Team Competes In National Meet And Finishes 16thPosted November 8, 2022 at 9:08 am
Cross Country at Pennsylvania Highlands Community College made a big splash in 2022. After a strong showing throughout the season, the Black Bears placed second in both the WPCC and Region 20 competitions.
These finishes earned them an opportunity to compete in the NJCAA Division 3 National Meet, which was held in Westfield, MA over this past weekend. This is the first time the whole cross country team was represented at a national meet.
The Black Bears had a strong showing, finishing 16th overall in the nation. Runners had an average time of 31:47.41 over the course of the 8K run. The total time for the team was 2:38:58.53.
Coached by Jeff Dick (Johnstown, PA), the 2022 Black Bear Cross Country team that competed consisted of:
- Andrew Straka (SO – Friedens, PA): Finished 41st with a time of 29:17.90
- Chase Brenneman (FR – Somerset, PA): Finished 57th with a time of 30:12.34
- Zachary Brandis (FR – Mineral Point, PA): Finished 95th with a time of 32:27.04
- Cody Sral (SO – Ebensburg, PA): Finished 109th with a time of 33:21.92
- Cody Miller (FR – New Buena Vista, PA): Finished 116th with a time of 33:39.32
- Nolan Read (SO – Stoystown, PA): Finished 137th with a time of 36:36.18
“Cross Country at Penn Highlands gets stronger every year,” stated Sue Brugh, Director of Student Activities and Athletics. “I couldn’t be prouder of these student-athletes and Coach Dick. These individuals have worked hard all season and deserve all the accolades.”
Penn Highlands is a chartered National Junior College Athletic Association member college, competing in Region 20. The Black Bears are part of the Western Pennsylvania Collegiate Conference. The WPCC was founded in 1972 and currently consists of 10 member institutions.