Penn Highlands is committed to supporting your personal and academic efforts during this time. As part of our commitment to supporting student achievement, here is a list of additional resources available to you at this time.
Bookstore, Education, & Other Resources
- ADOBE: As a result of facility closures, Adobe is providing temporary at-home access for impacted students and faculty, so that they can continue their work remotely. Please click on this link and follow the instructions to enable access to Creative Cloud Desktop Apps on your personal device. Use your college credentials to sign in.
- COLLEGE BOOKSTORE: Whether you are taking online classes or working remotely, our bookstore is always available online. Our bookstore is allowing online book rental returns. Start the process by signing in on the bookstore website, then select Rentals and Purchase Details.
- Department of Education (PA): The Pennsylvania Department of Education is committed to providing school communities with ongoing guidance, resources, and information during this unprecedented situation. This Department of Education page is updated regularly.
- FOLLETT: In response to COVID-19’s impact on higher education, Follett is set to deliver free at-home learning content.
- #Meals4KidsInPA: Area schools and school districts across the region are providing free meals to kids. To let you know who is doing this, the Department of Education is using #Meals4KidsInPA on Twitter to keep communities updated on when and where. Click on this link to see what schools and school districts are providing this resource.
- PEARSON RESOURCE HUB: As colleges move online, Pearson has gathered experts and built a Resource Hub populated with best practices and guidance to help you make a fast and strong move to online teaching and learning.
- REDSHELF: To ensure that all students have access to their course materials amidst the COVID-19 outbreak, RedShelf is partnering with the publishing community to provide free eBooks from participating publishers. Click here for details.
- SINGLE STOP TAX PREP: Single Stop offering free tax preparation for all students in Pennsylvania. Click here for details.
- SINGLE STOP RESOURCES: Single Stop offering their screening tool for free; students can use it to connect to resources. Click here for details.
Wi-Fi & Internet Access
- ATLANTIC BROADBAND: Atlantic Broadband now offers a new internet product called Internet Assist. It provides a 15mbps service free for 60 days (2 months). New Internet Assist customers will receive free installation and a free modem. Then, it will only be $9.99 plus taxes per month after. View this and other Atlantic Broadband offers here.
- CENTRAL PARK CENTER: The parking spaces near our Central Park Center is now enabled to provide Wi-Fi access to current students, staff, and faculty. Please have your login credentials ready when accessing.
- CHARTER COMMUNICATIONS: Charter will offer free Spectrum broadband and Wi-Fi access for 60 days to households with K-12 and/or college students who do not already have a Spectrum broadband subscription at any service level up to 100 Mbps. Call 1.844.488.8395 to enroll, with installation fees being waived for new student households.
- COMCAST INTERNET ESSENTIALS: Internet Essentials will provide new customers with two months of free service. And, Internet Essentials will increase speeds for all customers in response to emergency measures associated with Coronavirus (COVID-19).
- MCDONALD’S: McDonald’s offers free Wi-Fi access to its customers. Often times, this Wi-Fi is available in the parking lots outside of the facility.
- RICHLAND CAMPUS: The parking lot of our Richland Campus is now enabled to provide Wi-Fi access to current students, staff, and faculty. Please have your login credentials ready when accessing.
- VERIZON: When a Verizon customer is experiencing hardships because of COVID-19, Verizon will waive late fees for 60 days until May 16, 2020, and will not terminate service to a customer who has been impacted by the events involving the Coronavirus. If customers are experiencing hardship, they should call the customer service team to discuss their available options. Visit this page for customer support.
- WI-FI HOTSPOTS (ATLANTIC BROADBAND): Atlantic Broadband has opened its Wi-Fi hotspots free to the public. Click here for locations and details.
- WI-FI HOTSPOTS (XFINITY): Xfinity Wi-Fi hotspots located in out of home locations like small businesses will be available to anyone who needs them for free, including non-Xfinity customers. For a map of Xfinity Wi-Fi hotspots, click here.
Free Things to Do
- ONLINE ART EXHIBITS: Take a virtual tour of the some of the world’s greatest museums and heritage sites.
- VIRTUAL MUSEUM TOURS: Experience the best museums from London to Seoul in the comfort of your own home.
- VIRTUAL OPERA STREAMING: Enjoy “Nightly Met Opera Streams,” a free series of encore Live in HD presentations streamed online.
- FREE YOGA: DoYogaWithMe is offering all current free members and new visitors 2 months of free access to their premium content.
- PELOTON: Try the Peloton App at home, now free for 90 days! Get what you need to meet your goals, with a mix of running, strength, toning, cycling, yoga, meditation, and outdoor workouts.
- PITTSBURGH ZOO: Check out the Pittsburgh Zoo’s web cams, podcast, and some additional fun and educational programming created for you and your family at home.
ZOOM Training Opportunities
We rely on Zoom applications for most of our remote and virtual learning environments. Zoom has a number of resources/training options to help students, faculty, and staff get up and running:
- Zoom 101: Sign Up & Download
- Zoom 101 : In Meeting Controls (Basic)
- Comprehensive Guide to Educating Through Zoom
- Tips and Tricks for Teachers Educating on Zoom
As a student of Pennsylvania Highlands, you have a multitude of resources available at your fingertips. No matter where you are, you’re always just a few clicks away from the information you need.