Over the last year, 100+ jobs were posted by companies in our region for professionals in this field. The median salary for a probation officer is $56,407 per year. (Source: EMSI Career Coach)
Have you ever been curious about the criminal justice system and how it works? The American criminal justice system is charged with providing for public protection with equitable enforcement of statutory laws, protecting the rights of the citizenry, ensuring due process, and punishing offenders for violating criminal laws. The criminal justice system accomplishes these tasks through the direct interaction of its three primary components; law enforcement, the judicial system, and corrections.
Through the Criminal Justice program, you will study topics within each of these three areas as they pertain to criminal and deviant behavior in our social world. Topics covered range from basic criminal justice terminology, court systems, theory, probation and parole, community corrections, juvenile justice, forensics, criminal investigation, U.S. Constitution, criminal procedure & law, ethics, deviance, and victimology.
The Associate of Science (A.S.) Criminal Justice degree is designed to provide the foundation necessary for optimal transfer to bachelor degree programs in criminal justice or related fields. The College does this by partnering with four-year institutions through the Pennsylvania Transfer and Articulation Center (PATRAC). Once a student completes his or her A.S. in Criminal Justice here, he or she will have the opportunity to complete a bachelor’s degree at a participating institution. This allows students to transfer their entire associate degree program credits and enter a participating institution as a junior.
Students can be confident that they will learn the skills necessary to either enter the criminal justice workforce or pursue further education and/or training. Students will have the opportunity to pursue a variety of jobs in this chosen field.
- Define the major concepts, theoretical perspectives of the criminal justice system (courts, criminal law, criminal procedures, and the adult and juvenile justice systems), and history as they relate to the disciplines of sociology and criminology.
- Identify and analyze emerging trends (deviance, victimology, punishment, etc.) in the criminal justice field through research and statistical data.
- Introduce strategies for working with diverse populations by recognizing and developing skills such as ethical standards, leadership principles, and legal practices in law enforcement, the judicial system, and corrections. Apply skills and knowledge working with diverse populations in law enforcement, corrections, probation, and parole.
- Communicate and apply fundamental ethical, management, leadership, and legal guidelines (e.g., Constitutional law) which govern the field of Criminal Justice.
All course requirements and the recommended sequence of courses for this program can be found through the College’s Online Academic Catalog. Click here to access the catalog for details on our Criminal Justice program.
Your ability to start here and earn a bachelor’s degree anywhere makes Penn Highlands the right college choice. Plus, you will save thousands of dollars. Be smart, and get your associate degree with us before transferring on to something greater.
Penn Highlands has signed transfer agreements to continue your studies in Criminal Justice with:
- Bloomsburg University
- Cabrini University
- California University of Pennsylvania
- Carlow University
- Cheyney University
- Clarion University
- East Stroudsburg University
- Edinboro University
- Indiana University of Pennsylvania
- Kutztown University
- Lincoln University
- Lock Haven University
- Mansfield University
- Millersville University
- Mount Aloysius College
- Robert Morris University
- Shippensburg University
- Slippery Rock University
- West Chester University
Ready? Schedule a visit to discuss your future. Transfer options are different based on the college you plan to attend; our team can help you determine the right path for what you are looking for.