The Service Worker is primarily responsible for performing housekeeping tasks, minor repairs, event set-ups, furniture moving and exterior grounds maintenance including snow removal.
Essential Job Responsibilities
- As an essential employee, must report to work when the College is closed or delayed in opening and work a schedule as assigned by the Director of Facilities Operations.
- Clean and sanitize restrooms and kitchens. Restock dispensers as required.
- Daily routine cleaning of classrooms, offices, and common areas. Duties include: dusting, wet and dry mopping, vacuuming, cleaning chalk and marker boards, emptying trash receptacles, cleaning accessible glass surfaces, disinfecting tabletops and desk surfaces, and laundering of rags and other related items.
- Periodic cleaning includes: stripping, waxing and buffing floors, carpet extraction, cleaning light lenses and fixtures, high dusting and diffuser area maintenance, wall washing, and furniture cleaning.
- Operate hand and power equipment and motorized vehicles to conduct snow removal and grounds maintenance. Also includes application of ice melting chemicals, weed control chemicals, and insecticides.
- Move furniture and set up and tear down special events.
- Occasional assisting with inter-campus moves, pick up or delivery of materials or parts, painting, weeding, or trimming.
- May lock or unlock building and/or rooms as required.
- Attendance at all mandatory meetings.
- Other duties as assigned.
No direct reports
Qualifications: To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able have the knowledge, skills, and abilities to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Education: High school diploma or general education degree (G.E.D.)
Experience & Knowledge: Minimal prior experience is required for this position. Prior housekeeping experience and the use of various housekeeping and grounds-keeping equipment is a plus.
Computer Skills: Microsoft Office, Outlook
Certificates, Licenses, Registrations: Valid PA driver’s license, Criminal Background Clearance
Physical Demands: Must be able to stand on feet or walk for long periods of time, use hands and arms, climb ladders to 10 feet, stoop, kneel, crouch, crawl, talk and hear. On occasion, items weighing more than 100 pounds must be pushed, pulled, lifted, or carried. The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Work Environment: The work environment includes the possibility of wet or humid conditions (non-weather); work near moving mechanical parts; work in high, precarious places; toxic or caustic chemicals; and outdoor weather-related extreme conditions, dusty or dirty areas, contact with oil or petroleum products.
Important Note: This is a part-time bargaining unit Support Staff position. All newly hired regular part-time employees will serve a probationary period of 520 hours. During the probationary period, employees will be required to demonstrate fitness for the position prior to receiving permanent appointment.
Location: The primary work location will be at the Richland Campus; however, the successful candidate must have flexibility to work at the other Center locations as needed.
Hours: The successful candidate must have flexibility to work up to 8 hours between 12am – 10pm Monday – Friday with an occasional daylight shift on Saturday.
Pay Rate: $11 per hour.
Deadline to Apply: Friday, February 25, 2022
Applications will be accepted until the position is filled; however, fully completed employment applications received by the deadline with all required application materials will receive guaranteed priority consideration.
Application materials required for full consideration:
- Employment Application
- Cover Letter
Please note that employment applications referencing ‘see resume’ or similar phrases are considered incomplete and may not be considered. For guaranteed priority consideration, applicants must submit a fully completed employment application with all required application materials by the deadline.
Please do not call to inquire about the status of your application. Only those candidates chosen for an interview will be contacted.
Please do not fax or mail any documentation. Official High School transcripts are required upon hire.
Employment is contingent upon submission and satisfactory review of any background check clearances as may be required by Pennsylvania Act 153. Please refer to our Pre-Employment Background Check Information page for more detailed information.
Successful candidate must be authorized to work in the United States and not require work authorization sponsorship by Pennsylvania Highlands Community College for any position now or in the future.
Pennsylvania Highlands Community College is an equal opportunity employer committed to diversity in the workplace. Pennsylvania Highlands Community College promotes a drug-free workplace.
Pennsylvania Highlands Community College does not discriminate in employment on the basis of race, color, religion, sex (including pregnancy and gender identity), national origin, political affiliation, sexual orientation, marital status, disability, genetic information, age, retaliation, parental status, military service, or other non-merit factor.