This position implements and integrates technologies to advance the College in new and innovative spaces to enhance learning initiatives throughout the College. The Network Administrator works among a broader IT staff to collectively achieve successful technology outcomes and works in a team environment with individuals of different competencies in network administration. May be assigned individual and joint projects.
The Network Administrator is responsible for all aspects of network administration on-premises and/or cloud networking systems including routers/switches, telecommunications, audio/visual systems, and network security. This individual also participates in the planning and implementation of policies and procedures to meet industry best practices and regulatory requirements.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Coordinating projects with the Chief Information Officer for development and implementation.
- Installs upgrades, monitors, and maintains all hardware and software aspects of the College enterprise computer network. This includes, but is not limited to, routers, switches, wireless devices, servers, cabling infrastructure, workstations, telecommunications, printers, and other related equipment.
- Troubleshoot networks, systems, and applications to identify and correct suspect areas and other operational difficulties.
- Recommend, establish, and perform preventative measures per acceptable vendor and industry best practice.
- Ensure timely user notification of maintenance requirements and effect on system availability.
- Maintain confidentiality regarding the information being processed, stored, or accessed by the College’s enterprise computer network.
- Document problems, processes, and resolutions of work that can be used by the IT staff for future reference.
- Plan and implement network security, including building firewalls, applying cryptography to network applications, managing host security, file permissions, backup and disaster recovery plans, file system integrity, and adding and deleting users.
- Evaluate and/or recommend hardware and software purchases.
- Work with other IT staff members to ensure that security and network availability measures are understood and adhered to.
- Assist faculty, staff, students and administrators with various hardware, software, and application problems to ensure that the local area network (LAN) services are functioning properly.
- Assume other duties as assigned by the Chief Information Officer.
- Position integrates technologies across all departments in the College.
- Ability and endurance necessary to work the hours needed to complete the job.
Qualifications: To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Education: Bachelor’s Degree in IT-related field
Experience & Knowledge: Three to five years of experience required. Experience preferred with network design, configuration, administration, monitoring and maintenance, DNS, DHCP, Active Directory, VPN, and firewalls. Experience preferred with Cisco and/or Cisco Meraki networking products and Office 365 Cloud Security a plus.
Demonstrated ability to complete project-based work as an individual and with a team.
Computer Skills: Knowledge of Microsoft Office and Server related products preferred. Experience preferred with networking software packages such as anti-virus, backup/restore, email/messaging, firewalls.
Certificates, Licenses, Registrations: Valid Pennsylvania Driver’s License and criminal background check required. Microsoft certifications, Cisco CCNA, A+, NET+, CISSP, or Security+.
Physical Demands: The employee in this position is regularly required to stand, sit, talk, and hear. The employee is frequently required to use hands to type, write, handle, or feel; and reach with hands and arms. The employee will occasionally have to stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl. The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 50 pounds. The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Work Environment: The noise level in the work environment ranges from quiet to moderately loud.
Location: Richland Campus
Deadline to Apply: Wednesday, March 31, 2021
Applications will be accepted until the position is filled; however, fully completed employment applications received by the deadline with all required application materials will receive guaranteed priority consideration.
Application materials required for full consideration:
- Employment Application
- Cover Letter
Please note that employment applications referencing ‘see resume’ or similar phrases are considered incomplete and may not be considered. For guaranteed priority consideration, applicants must submit a fully completed employment application with all required application materials by the deadline.
Please do not call to inquire about the status of your application. Only those candidates chosen for an interview will be contacted.
Benefits: The College offers a comprehensive benefits package that includes medical, dental and vision coverage to full-time employees and their dependents. Benefits package also includes short-term/long-term disability, retirement, life insurance, generous paid time off, and 11 paid holidays.
Please do not fax or mail any documentation. Official College transcripts are required upon hire.
Employment is contingent upon submission and satisfactory review of any background check clearances as may be required by Pennsylvania Act 153. Please refer to our Pre-Employment Background Check Information page for more detailed information.
Successful candidate must be authorized to work in the United States and not require work authorization sponsorship by Pennsylvania Highlands Community College for any position now or in the future.
Pennsylvania Highlands Community College is an equal opportunity employer committed to diversity in the workplace. Pennsylvania Highlands Community College promotes a drug-free workplace.
Pennsylvania Highlands Community College does not discriminate in employment on the basis of race, color, religion, sex (including pregnancy and gender identity), national origin, political affiliation, sexual orientation, marital status, disability, genetic information, age, retaliation, parental status, military service, or other non-merit factor.