Over the last year, 850+ jobs were posted by companies in our region for professionals in this field. As a phlebotomist, salaries start around $26,000 for entry-level positions. (Source: EMSI Career Coach)
Are you interested in being part of a health care team? Become a patient care technician and work under the supervision of a nurse or a physician. These individuals are trained to work in a hospital or clinic setting. Patient care technicians can perform duties such as responding to patient calls, assisting patients with personal hygiene, serving meals, assisting with therapies, and monitoring vital signs.
Our certificate in Patient Care Technician allows students to understand and be able to provide basic care including emotional, physical, psychological, and spiritual support to patients of all age groups in a variety of health care settings. Students will learn how to perform procedures in a safe and therapeutic manner while in compliance with federal/state mandates.
The Patient Care Technician certificate is designed to provide students with the education and skills necessary to become an effective member of any health care team as a certified patient care technician.
- Demonstrate effective written/oral communication with patients, families, and other health care team members.
- Display professional conduct, appearance, and ethical behavior when providing PCT care.
- Provide basic care including emotional, physical, psychological, and spiritual support to patients of all age groups in a variety of healthcare settings.
- Perform PCT procedures in a safe and therapeutic manner while in compliance with federal/state mandates.
- Exhibit the use of relevant technology in the implementation of patient care while maintaining compliance with laws related to Protected Health Information (PHI).
- Implement basic safety and infection control practices in the health care setting.
- Function effectively as a member of the health care team.
- Become a certified patient care technician.
All course requirements and the recommended sequence of courses for this program can be found through the College’s Online Academic Catalog.