Over the last year, 2,300+ jobs were posted by companies in our region for professionals in this field. As a medical records technician, salaries start around $26,000 for entry-level positions. (Source: EMSI Career Coach)
Have you always wanted to work in the medical environment but also wanted to stay behind a computer? As a Healthcare Information Specialist, you can do that. This individual is an electronic medical records specialist, who compiles and maintains the medical records of patients.
Our Associate of Applied Science (A.A.S.) in Healthcare Information Specialist degree will prepare you to be a top-notch member in this field. In addition to documenting records, students will learn how to securely protect, process, and prepare records, process admission or discharge documents, and more.
As the Pennsylvania Department of Labor anticipates employment growth of 13% for health information technicians between 2016 and 2026, graduates will be confident in knowing that their newly acquired skills will be highly valued by numerous medical environments. Get ready to make an impact… quickly!
- Protect the security of medical records to ensure that confidentiality is maintained.
- Review records for completeness, accuracy, and compliance with regulations.
- Retrieve patient medical records for physicians, technicians, or other medical personnel.
- Release information to persons or agencies according to regulations.
- Plan, develop, maintain, or operate a variety of health record indexes or storage and retrieval systems to collect, classify, store, or analyze information.
- Enter data, such as demographic characteristics, history, and extent of disease, diagnostic procedures, or treatment into computer.
- Compile and maintain patients’ medical records to document condition and treatment and to provide data for research or cost control and care improvement efforts.
- Process and prepare business or government forms.
- Process patient admission or discharge documents.
- Assign the patient to diagnosis-related groups (DRGs), using appropriate computer software.
Requirements / Course Sequence
All course requirements and the recommended sequence of courses for this program can be found through the College’s Online Academic Catalog. Click here to access the catalog for details on our Healthcare Information Specialist program.