Medical Coding Specialist (Diploma)
Are you ready to play an important role in the medical field? Behind-the-scenes, medical coders are key individuals that help make the whole system work and flow properly. For example, envision a patient who makes an appointment because he or she has a health issue that involves several tests. A medical coder must assign a code to each test, which then is used to create the communication process between doctors and insurance companies. Essentially, medical coders make sure medical communication runs smoothly.
The Medical Coding Specialist Diploma prepares students to fulfill the demands of the medical coding profession. The program affords students the opportunity to become proficient in skills needed to perform Current Procedural Terminology (CPT), as well as International Classification of Diseases, 9th revision, Clinical Modification (ICD-9 CM) medical coding functions. ICD-10 may replace ICD-9 as dictated by Government Legislation.
Students that earn this diploma will be able to enter the medical profession as confident coders, able to take on any coding issue that may arise. Graduates will be ready to keep the lines of communication open between insurance companies and the doctors that serve our community.
- Utilize current ICD-10-CM and CPT coding and reporting in a variety of health care settings.
- Discuss the purposes of diagnostic and procedural coding for professional services.
- Correlate medical terminology, anatomy and physiology, pathophysiology and pharmacology concepts with the coding process.
- Identify organizational principles of the Health Information Department.
- Demonstrate computer literacy and basic knowledge of software applications.
- Apply ethical-legal aspects while performing medical coding activities.
- Develop interpersonal and team participation skills.
- Coding Specialist
- Billing Coordinator
- Health Information Management Coder
- Patient Account Representative
- Health Insurance Claims Analyst
- Reimbursement Specialist
Recommended Sequence of Courses
- CIT 100 - Microcomputer Applications
- HSC 100 - Medical Terminology
- HSC 120 - Health Information Management and Medical Office
- HSC 130 - Basic Anatomy and Physiology
- HSC 160 - Law and Ethics for Health Occupations
- HSC 205 - Medical Coding ICD-10-CM
- HSC 210 - Medical Coding CPT
- HSC 230 - Medical Terminology and Anatomy for Coding
- HSC 140 - Basic Disease Process and Pharmacology
- HSC 211 - Advanced Medical Coding
- HSC 280 - Financial Management in Health Care
- HSC 298 - Medical Coding Internship
Total credits to earn Diploma: 36