Pharmacy Technician (Certificate)
The Pharmacy Technician certificate prepares individuals for becoming a pharmacy technician and other roles of supportive personnel in hospital and community pharmacies. This individual will be confident in providing assistance to Registered Pharmacists in a variety of tasks involving the preparation, packaging, distribution, labeling, and recording of drugs. Plus, students are prepared for all roles in a pharmacy, including billing, maintenance of stock, computer data entry, legal and ethical guidelines, and professionalism.
After completing the certificate, and through two clinical internships, students will be able to enter the pharmaceutical profession as confident and highly-skilled professionals, able to handle a multitude of tasks and issues. Graduates will be ready to help keep our community members healthy and happy.
Note: Upon satisfactory completion of the program, students are eligible to apply and take a national Pharmacy Technician Certification Exam. Satisfactory completion of this program increases the possibility of passing the certification exam, but does not guarantee a passing grade.
- Demonstrate competencies needed to work as a pharmacy technician in all pharmacy settings.
- Show proficiency in dispensing medications.
- Assist Registered Pharmacists in all aspects of pharmacy operations.
- Function effectively as a member of the health care team.
- Practice as a pharmacy technician within the legal and ethical framework guidelines.
- Hospital pharmacies
- Community pharmacies
- Closed (Private) Pharmacies
- Extended care facilities
- Home health agencies
- Satellite pharmacies
- Mail order pharmacy distribution centers
- Pharmaceutical auditor
- Insurance auditor
Recommended Sequence of Courses
- CIT 100 - Microcomputer Applications
- HSC 100 - Medical Terminology
- HSC 130 - Basic Anatomy and Physiology
- HSC 144 - Pharmacology for Pharmacy Technicians
- HSC 192 - Pharmacy Technician Practice
- ACE 200 - ACESS Portfolio
- HSC 190 - Pharmacy Law and Ethics
- HSC 191 - Pharmacology Calculations
- HSC 280 - Financial Management in Health Care
- HSC 295 - Pharmacy Technician - Hospital Internship
- HSC 296 - Pharmacy Technician - Community Internship
Minimum credits to earn Certificate: 27