Information Technology - Cyber Security
The Associate of Applied Science degree in Information Technology - Cyber Security focuses on the most critical and quickly changing area of the industry. This program provides students with the ability to not only administer networks but also to secure those networks and conduct penetration tests to ensure they are not vulnerable to attacks. Graduates will have an understanding of computer hardware, operating systems, networking, databases, programming, and defensive and offensive security. Students will cover aspects of the Microsoft Certified Solutions Associate (MCSA), CompTIA Linux+, Net+, Security+ and A+, Wireshark Certified Network Analyst, and the EC-Council Certified Ethical Hacker certifications.
Our A.A.S. program is designed to prepare students to enter the workforce in any number of entry-level positions. Graduates will feel confident knowing that their skills will be in demand in a variety of diverse workplaces.
- Demonstrate knowledge in Operating Systems, Networking, Data Communication, and Database Technology.
- Demonstrate various techniques for preventing unauthorized attacks to computer networks and apply measures for minimizing the damage caused by network intruders.
- Evaluate and implement the needed information security controls for any information system and provide an assurance framework where the security processes or controls, or both, are embedded in information systems technologies.
- Understand professional, ethical, legal, security and social issues and responsibilities.
- Apply strong communication and critical thinking skills including reading, writing, organizing, evaluating, problem solving and presentation skills.
- Cyber Security Analyst
- Information Systems Security Officer
- Network Security Specialist
- Penetration Tester
Recommended Sequence of Courses
- CIT 100 - Microcomputer Applications
- CIT 132 - Local Area Networks
- CIT 173 - Windows Enterprise Desktop Operating Systems
- ENG 110 - English Composition I
- FYE 100 - First Year Experience
- Elective - Social Science
- CIT 165 - Hardware Components
- CIT 196 - Database Management
- CIT 226 - Windows Server Management
- CIT 293 - Wireshark Network Analysis
- LIF 111 - Health and Wellness
- CIT 166 - Visual Basic Programming
- CIT 292 - Network Security
- COM 101 - Public Speaking
- MAT 145 - College Algebra
- Elective - Science (3/4)
- ACE 200 - ACESS Portfolio
- CIT 222 - Linux Operating System
- CIT 228 - Wireless Networking
- CIT 285 - Network Administration Project
- CIT 290 - Network Administration Internship
- CIT 294 - Ethical Hacking
Minimum Credits to earn A.A.S. Degree - Cyber Security Track: 64/65
Work or Life Experience
Did you know that you could earn college credit for work or life experience? By using College Credit Fast Track (ccfasttrack.org), current and prospective students will get help with earning college credit at Pennsylvania Highlands Community College based on prior work or life experience. Credit can be awarded for employment, training programs, military, service, independent study, community service, and completing free online courses. To learn more about this opportunity, visit College Credit Fast Track.