Workforce Development & Continuing Education at Pennsylvania Highlands Community College is pleased to offer a wide variety of courses and programs in a flexible, convenient, and economical online learning format. Whether you would like to earn a certificate, need professional development or job training, or simply want to learn for your own personal enrichment, we have an online course or program that will meet your needs.
Our partnerships with several online education providers enable us to bring you top-notch courses designed and instructed by experts in their respective field. Courses are either instructor-led or self-paced. Most classes are project-oriented and incorporate a mixture of lessons, quizzes, hands-on assignments, discussion boards, video lectures, supplementary links, and more. Instructors/mentors are actively involved in responding to questions and encouraging you to succeed.
To see a complete listing of our non-credit online opportunities, please take a look at our offerings found below:
- Ed2Go (Professional & Personal Enrichment)
- Gatlin (Career Training)
- Career Step (Health Care Career Training)
- ProTrain (Professional Certifications & Development)
- LERN (Workplace & Professional Skills)
- W.I.T.S. (Fitness Certifications & Professional Development)
Our partnership with ed2go offers access to more than 300 interactive career enhancement courses. These six-week online courses are the perfect way to learn a new skill or enhance your existing ones. You'll spend roughly two to four hours each week completing two engaging lessons in an enjoyable, interactive learning environment. Expert instructors develop and lead every course, and you'll be able to interact with them and with fellow students in lively online discussion areas. New sessions start every month, so you can sign up anytime. You will receive a certificate of completion from Pennsylvania Highlands Community College when you complete your course with a passing score. Courses include:
- Accounting and Finance: Accounting Fundamentals, Personal Finance, QuickBooks, and more.
- Business: A to Z Grant Writing, Achieving Success with Difficult People, Creating a Successful Business Plan, and more.
- College Readiness: SAT Prep, Human Anatomy & Physiology, GRE Prep, and more.
- Computer Applications: Microsoft Excel, Microsoft Word, Microsoft Access (versions 2007-2013 available), and more.
- Design and Composition: Creating Web Pages, Mastering Your Digital SLR Camera, Secrets of Better Photography, and more.
- Health Care and Medical: Medical Terminology, Spanish for Health Care Professionals, Certificate in Food, Nutrition and Health, and more.
- Language and Arts: Beginning Writer, Drawing for the Absolute Beginner, Speed Spanish, and more.
- Law and Legal: Explore a Career as a Paralegal, Real Estate Law, Workers' Compensation, and more.
- Personal Development: Assisting Aging Parents, Get Assertive!, Lose Weight and Keep it Off, and more.
- Teaching and Education: Solving Classroom Discipline Problems, Teaching Students with ADHD, The Creative Classroom, and more.
- Technology: Computer Skills for the Workplace, Introduction to SQL, Introduction to Networking, and more.
- Writing and Publishing: Write and Publish Your Nonfiction Book, The Keys to Effective Editing, Business and Marketing Writing, and more.
Pennsylvania Highlands Community College, in partnership with Gatlin, offers online, open enrollment, self-paced programs designed to provide the skills necessary to acquire professional level positions for many in-demand occupations.
Our programs are designed by a team of professionals from each respective field, providing you with effective web-based learning programs. Instructors/mentors are actively involved in your online learning experience, responding to any questions or concerns, as well as encouraging and motivating you to succeed.
Career training programs available through this partnership include:
- Healthcare & Fitness: Certificate programs in Medical Coding, Transcription, Pharmacy, and other popular fields.
- Business & Professional: eBusiness, Six Sigma Black Belt Certification, and others to increase your success in the business world.
- IT and Software Development: Hands-on courses give the experience you need in the ever-expanding world of technology.
- Management & Corporate: Courses include valuable training in project management, IT management, lean mastery, Six Sigma, and other essential management skills
- Media & Design: Develop techniques in graphic design, web design, event management and design, and residential interior design.
- Hospitality & Service Industry: Train for a career in the hospitality and service industries, on your own schedule.
- Skilled Trades & Industrial: Learn the skills you need to gain employment as an operator in the heavy industry job market.
- Sustainable Energy & Going Green: Thousands of new "green jobs" being created in the US make now the perfect time to learn skills for this exciting industry.
- Career Online High School: Career-credentialed certificate programs for in-demand careers, such as Early Childhood Education, Criminal Justice, and Office Management.
Pennsylvania Highlands has partnered with Career Step to provide quality career training programs and continuing education for job opportunities in healthcare, administrative services, and technology. The career training programs are delivered online, enabling students to pursue self-paced learning in their area of interest, and Career Step also provides a number of student and graduate support resources to ensure students are successful.
Programs available through this partnership include:
- Medical Coding and Billing
- Medical Transcription and Editing
- Medical Administrative Assistant with EHR
- Computer Technician
- Pharmacy Technician
- Executive Assistant
- Medical Billing
- ICD-10 FastTrack
Not sure which career is right for you? Take the Career Finder Quiz to find out!
Through a partnership with ProTrain, we offer over 300 quality online certifications, certificates, and courses. Whether you are an individual looking to advance your career or jumpstart a new one, or an employer looking for an affordable training solution, these online programs are designed to fit your needs. Most courses are self-paced, open enrollment, and can be completed in 4-6 months. Click on the areas of interest to see the programs and courses offered, or click here to browse the entire catalog.
- Accounting and Finance: Increase your financial awareness and accountability while gaining marketable new skills in accounting and finance fields.
- Business and Leadership: Improve your marketable leader skills and success in the business world by taking a business or management course.
- Career and Hospitality: Are you a creative person? Get trained for a new career where you can express your personal creativity and services in a growing job market.
- Education and Personal Development: Do you like to work with children? Start training today for a rewarding career educating and working with children.
- Green and Renewable Energy: "Green" jobs are an important part of our economic future. Start training for a green-collar job today.
- Healthcare and Allied Health: The Healthcare and Medical fields are growing rapidly. Get trained for a rewarding healthcare career.
- Industrial and Skilled Trades: Do you like to work with your hands? If so, a career in a skilled or industrial trade might be the place for you.
- Legal and Criminal Justice: Legal careers are growing! Join the fascinating field of law by getting trained to work in the legal arena.
- Multimedia and Graphic Design: Courses covering a range of studies and popular design products. Digital photography, graphic design, multimedia, web design and more!
- Programming and Web Applications: Hands-on courses give the experience you need in the ever-expanding world of technology.
- Spanish in the Workplace: Learn workplace Spanish quickly and easily, honing your basic conversational skills and mastering key workplace words and phrases.
- Technology and Computer Programs: New to IT or just want to update your skills? Either way, we have the right course for you!
Boost your productivity and your organization's bottom line by gaining skills for the 21st century. Our online course and certificates are designed and taught by expert instructors through the use of audio presentations, readings, video lectures and discussion, all housed online. Most courses are offered 4 times a year, with classes starting the first Monday of the month. For those new to online learning, an online learning tutorial is offered the week before class starts.
Click here to view our catalog of offerings in the following areas:
- Business: Business Research Certificate, Certificate in Customer Research, Funding Your Business, and more.
- Business Communication: Advanced Neuro Linguistic Programming (NLP), Certificate in Customer Service, Female Bullying in the Workplace, and more.
- Career Skills: Mastering Computer Skills for the Workplace, and more.
- Health: Dementia for Family Caregivers, Success and Aging Parents, Spanish for Medical Professionals, and more.
- Human Resources: Business Coaching Certificate, Onboarding New Employees, Applying Lean Sigma Practices to HR Functions, and more.
- Leadership: Leadership Principles, Developing Leadership Skills, Fatal Leadership Errors, and more.
- LEED Green Workplace: LEED Green Associate Exam & Prep and more.
- Management: Accounting and Finance for Non-Financial Managers, Certificate in Non Profit Management, Stress Management, and more.
- New Media Marketing: eMarketing Essentials Certificate, Google Analytics, Inbound Marketing Certificate, and more.
- Professional Development: Creative Problem Solving, Workplace Ethics and Etiquette, Intercultural Communications, and more.
- Social Media for Business: Instagram for Business, Social Media for Business Certificate, Evernote, and more.
- Training and Education: Best Practices in Event Management, Building Online Learning Communities, Developing Online Courses, and more.
- Training for K12 Teachers: Gender in the Classroom, Social Media and Online Tools for K12 Teachers, Substitute Teacher Preparation and more.
Our partnership with World Instructor Training Schools (W.I.T.S.) allows us to provide online courses and certifications for fitness professionals looking to start or enhance their business and career. Choose from certifications in Fitness Management and Lifestyle Fitness Coaching, or fulfill professional development requirements necessary for certification renewal by taking a variety of courses. Courses are offered in "series", but can be taken individually. These include:
- The Advertising & Marketing Series offers courses on Developing a Market Strategy, Establishing Your Brand and Image, and Insider Advertising Secrets for Fitness Professionals.
- The Business Success Series provides courses such as Finance and Budgets, Developing Your Business Strategy, Setting Prices for Profitability, and many others.
- Additional Courses are available, such as Nutritional Concepts, Pregnancy Fitness, Youth Fitness Instructor Foundations, and more.