Before beginning the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA), you should apply for a U.S. Department of Education personal identification number (PIN) at. The PIN will allow you to sign your FAFSA electronically and to correct FAFSA information online. If you are providing parent information on the FAFSA, one of your parents must also sign your application. To sign electronically, your parent must apply for his or her own PIN.
Applying for financial aid is free! You must complete and submit a FAFSA on-line at http://www.fafsa.ed.gov.
- Dependent students must provide information for themselves and their parent(s).
- Independent students must provide information for themselves and their spouse (if applicable).
Follow up on your FAFSA. Your application will be processed and you will receive an e-mail with a link to your Student Aid Report (SAR). If you did not provide an e-mail address, you will receive your SAR by mail.
If your Student Aid Report indicates:
- you are selected for verification - you will be notified by the Financial Aid Office regarding documents you will need to complete the verification process to include: a Verification Worksheet, an IRS tax transcript, and additional information/documentation if noted by the Financial Aid Office.
- your citizenship is questioned - you are required to provide the Financial Aid Office with a copy of your birth certificate.
- your social security number is invalid - you are required to provide the Financial Aid Office with a copy of your Social Security card.
- you are not registered with the Selective Service (male 18 years of age and over) - you are required to provide the Financial Aid Office with a copy of your Selective Service card.
- you are in default regarding a student loan – you are required to provide the Financial Aid Office with written documentation that the default status has been satisfied.
You will receive an electronic notification via your College email from the Financial Aid Office:
- If your SAR is valid (you have met all of the edit requirements), you will receive an Award Notification email from the Financial Aid Office directing you to myPEAK > Financial Aid Link regarding your aid eligibility. This is our offer to you. If you opt to accept the offer for a Federal Direct Student Loan, you will be required to submit a Loan Acceptance Form available electronically on myPEAK. First time borrowers are also required to complete Direct Loan Entrance Counseling and a Master Promissory Note (loan application) online at www.studentloans.gov. The Financial Aid Office will receive confirmation of completion from the Department of Education within 24 hours provided you completed the processes successfully and you included Pennsylvania Highlands Community College’s School Code: 031804.
- If the Financial Aid Office determines that you need to submit additional documentation for us to determine your aid eligibility, you will receive a Missing Information Request notification via your College email directing you to myPEAK to view required documents.
To qualify for most aid programs (this includes loans), you must be enrolled at least half-time (six or more credits).