Quick Links

HR Header

Motor Vehicle Record Check

Does the College require a motor vehicle record check?

Yes but only for certain individuals.

Who will be required to undergo the record check, and why?

Only prospective and current employees who will drive, or who will likely drive, a company owned or leased/rented vehicle. The College is required to check your driving record in order to comply with insurance regulations, as well as to verify that the record is satisfactory.

How often will these record checks be required?

Upon an offer of employment and every three (3) years thereafter, as well as in conjunction with any involvement in an accident. Human Resources will facilitate this screening process and there is no cost to the affected individual.

What will happen if I refuse to take part in the motor vehicle record check process, and do I have any options?

This requirement is not optional and is a condition of employment with the College.

What is the criteria used in determining if a motor vehicle record check is unsatisfactory?

Based on accident/violation history, an individual's driver record becomes unsatisfactory if one or more of the following exists:

  • Three or more accidents (regardless of fault) in the last three years.
  • One or more Type A violations in the last three years.
  • Any combination of accidents and Type B violations that equal four or more in the last three years.

What are Type A and Type B violations?

Type A and Type B violations are based on a survey of state point systems. Violations receiving the higher number of points are classed as Type A.

Type A Violations

  • Driving while intoxicated
  • Driving under the influence of drugs
  • Negligent homicide arising out of the use of a motor vehicle
  • Using a motor vehicle for the commission felony
  • Aggravated assault with a motor vehicle
  • Permitting an unlicensed person to drive
  • Reckless driving
  • Speed Contest
  • Hit and run (BI and PD) driving

Type B Violations

  • All moving violations not listed as Type A violations

What happens if my record is found to be unsatisfactory?

In order to comply with insurance regulations, offers of employment may be withdrawn.