Desktop Systems Administrator
The Desktop Systems Administrator is responsible for all aspects of desktop systems administration across all of the College’s locations. This includes troubleshooting, installing, diagnosing, repairing, maintaining, and upgrading all end-user Windows systems and associated peripherals with available automated tools and scripting. This includes, but is not limited to desktops/laptops, IP telephones, audiovisual equipment, cellular phones, and other mobile devices. This position provides everything from front-line telephone support to preventative maintenance for enterprise systems. This individual also works closely with network and systems administrators to maintain the College’s Cisco and VMware environments along with participating in the planning and implementation of policies and procedures to ensure system provisioning and maintenance that is consistent with the institution’s goals, industry best practices, and regulatory requirements. This position may require occasional evenings or weekend hours, sometimes with little advance notice.
Essential Job Responsibilities
- Provide configuration and troubleshooting for desktop/laptops, mobile phones, desk phones, and PC peripheral.
- Install new, repair, track, rebuild existing PC/laptop hardware, peripherals, services, settings, etc. in accordance with standards and requirements.
- Work in conjunction with the Systems Administrator to apply OS patches and upgrades on a regular basis, and upgrade administrative tools and utilities. Configure / add new services as necessary.
- Manage end user accounts, permissions, access rights, and storage allocations in accordance with best practices regarding privacy, security, and regulatory compliance.
- Provides support including training for end users and mentoring of help desk staff, and fellow Administrators along with assisting with projects the group is involved in.
- Assists with break/fix situations for software they are rolling out along with assisting Help Desk Technicians with questions regarding installation of software and hardware.
- Implements procedures developed by Systems and Network Administrators in support of software deployment and analytical information gathering to determine best system configuration.
- Along with the IT Group maintains the management of critical systems; implements solutions in support of desktop vulnerabilities, deployment of systems, oversee license renewals and desktop standardization.
- Develop and maintain accurate documentation for system installations, configurations, upgrades and system recovery activities.
- Other duties as assigned.
Qualifications: To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able have the knowledge, skills, and abilities to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Education: Bachelor’s Degree in related field or Associates Degree in related field with a minimum of 5 years of related experience required.
Experience & Knowledge:
- A minimum of three years of systems administration experience in a Microsoft Exchange and Active Directory environment working with Windows.
- Experience with installing, upgrading, maintaining, and supporting latest Microsoft Office Products a must.
- Working knowledge and/or Certification in Microsoft Products (MCP), VMWare and/or Cisco products preferred.
- Experience with Group Policy, virtual technologies, anti-virus products, and/or automated scripting technologies a plus.
- Extensive working technical knowledge of the latest revision of Windows and Office products (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Outlook, Access) required.
- Experience working in Microsoft Exchange environment preferred.
- Experience with Microsoft Active Directory, LDAP, DNS, DHCP.
- Experience with troubleshooting client/server applications.
- Working technical knowledge of local area network administration.
- Hands-on software and hardware troubleshooting experience.
- Experience with data management.
- Demonstrated ability to successfully communicate and explain technical concepts to non-technical people and have a clear customer focus in a team environment.
Certificates, Licenses, Registrations:
- Valid Pennsylvania Driver’s License
- Criminal Background Clearance.
- Microsoft Certifications a plus.
- Cisco Certifications a plus.
- VMware Certification a plus.
Physical Demands: While performing the duties of this position, the employee is regularly required to stand, sit and talk or hear. The employee is frequently required to use hands to type, write, handle, or feel; and reach with hands and arms. The employee will occasionally have to stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl. The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 50 pounds.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Work Environment: Typical office environment with a quiet to moderate noise level.
LOCATION: Richland Campus
BENEFITS: The College offers a comprehensive benefits package that includes medical, dental, and vision coverage to full-time employees and their dependents. Benefits package also includes short-term/long-term disability, retirement, life insurance, generous paid time off and 11 paid holidays.
To APPLY: Click here for the Employment Application. To ensure full consideration, you must submit your application online by 4:00 PM on August 11, 2017; however, applications will be accepted until the position is filled. Upon completion of an employment application, you will be able to upload the following documents, which are required for full consideration:
- Cover Letter
As a condition of employment, the successful candidate must obtain all background clearances as may be required by Pennsylvania Act 153. Please refer to our Pre-Employment Background Check Information page for more detailed information.
At this time, Pennsylvania Highlands Community College cannot sponsor applicants for work visas for this position.
Please do not fax or mail any documentation. Official college transcripts are required prior to hire. Reference to a resume may not be substituted for a fully completed employment application.
Pennsylvania Highlands Community College is an equal opportunity employer committed to diversity in the workplace. Pennsylvania Highlands Community College promotes a drug-free workplace.
Pennsylvania Highlands Community College does not discriminate in employment on the basis of race, color, religion, sex (including pregnancy and gender identity), national origin, political affiliation, sexual orientation, marital status, disability, genetic information, age, retaliation, parental status, military service, or other non-merit factor.