Administrative Coordinator (Altoona)
Serves as an administrative support person for the Center. Duties include, but are not limited to answering and directing incoming phone calls and emails, coordinating meetings and travel arrangements, maintaining student files, and data entry including processing inquiries and applications; other functions including welcoming Center visitors, assisting and disseminating information to students, faculty, staff and others; preparing correspondence, mailings and publications; maintaining and ordering supplies; and participation in student activities and recruiting events as needed.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities include the following:
- Word processing of various reports, letters, memos, proposals, and meeting minutes in a timely manner.
- Data entry and processing in various college information systems.
- Greeting and responding to telephone, email, and walk-in guests, screening and directing calls and the handling of routine inquiries from students, parents, faculty and staff.
- Communicating directives and messages; coordinating with other offices on correspondence, plans and problem intervention.
- Providing day-to-day administrative and office support for the Center.
- Maintaining student files and assisting students with completion of applications and other necessary paperwork.
- Coordinating meetings and travel arrangements and serving as a recorder at meetings as needed.
- Evaluating and ensuring adherence to office procedures while monitoring office procedures to eliminate duplication of effort and to streamline the flow of operations.
- Assisting the Director with planning for student activities, recruiting initiatives, community service events; and provides input for strategic planning;
- Demonstrating a high level of interpersonal skills to handle sensitive and confidential situations.
- Other duties as assigned
Qualifications: To perform this job successfully, an individual must have the knowledge, skills, and abilities to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Education: Associate's degree or equivalent from two-year College or technical school preferred; high school diploma or GED required and three years related experience and/or training; or equivalent combination of education and experience.
Experience & Knowledge: Two years’ experience in an office setting is preferred. This experience should include providing customer service, maintaining files, ability to multi task, ability to work independently and an attention to detail that includes the ability to complete paperwork in an accurate, timely and efficient manner.
Computer Skills: Working knowledge of a variety of computer Microsoft software applications (Word, Excel, Access, PowerPoint). Knowledge of or ability to learn College specific programs.
Certificates, Licenses, Registrations: Criminal Background Clearance
Physical Demands: The employee will be required to sit, stand, walk and talk and hear. Employee will also need to type, operate a telephone and computer, lock and unlock doors and receive and stock office supplies which will require stooping, kneeling, crouching and lifting up to 10 pounds. The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Work Environment: Typical office environment with a quiet to moderate noise level.
RATE: $10.43 per hour
HOURS: 20-25 hours per week. Monday – Thursday from 2 – 8 p.m. when the semester is in session.
LOCATION: Altoona, PA
IMPORTANT NOTE: This is a bargaining unit support staff position. All newly hired regular part-time employees will serve a probationary period of 520 hours. During the probationary period, employees will be required to demonstrate fitness for the position prior to receiving permanent appointment.
To APPLY: Click here for the Employment Application. To ensure full consideration, you must submit your application online by 4:00 PM on Friday, September 22, 2017; however, applications will be accepted until the position is filled. Upon completion of an employment application, you will be able to upload the following documents, which are required for full consideration:
- Cover Letter
As a condition of employment, the successful candidate must obtain all background clearances as may be required by Pennsylvania Act 153. Please refer to our Pre-Employment Background Check Information page for more detailed information.
Please do not fax or mail any documentation. Reference to a resume may not be substituted for a fully completed employment application.
Pennsylvania Highlands Community College is an equal opportunity employer committed to diversity in the workplace. Pennsylvania Highlands Community College promotes a drug-free workplace.
Pennsylvania Highlands Community College does not discriminate in employment on the basis of race, color, religion, sex (including pregnancy and gender identity), national origin, political affiliation, sexual orientation, marital status, disability, genetic information, age, retaliation, parental status, military service, or other non-merit factor.