Summary: The Associate Dean of Institutional Research and Assessment provides leadership and performs all necessary functions related to the collection, interpretation, and use of institutional data for planning, assessment, and decision making efforts. The position provides quality data control, collection, analysis, and services to support strategic planning, budgeting, student learning outcomes, institutional effectiveness, and decision making. The Associate Dean collects, analyzes, summarizes, and submits reports to meet statewide and national statutory reporting requirements. The Associate Dean supervises the Institutional Research Assistant.
This position works closely with senior management, faculty, and across administrative departments to generate and submit reports and respond to the full range of institutional research needs.
Competencies: To perform the job successfully, an individual should demonstrate the following competencies:
- Inspires a Shared Vision – communicates a compelling mission and purpose for Institutional Research and energizes people to embrace a culture of evidence based decision making.
- Promotes Core Values - consistently demonstrates the College’s Core Values.
- Communicates Effectively - shares information widely with the College community and encourages candid and open dialogue.
- Develops Talent for the Future – continues to refine and upgrade his/her professional skills through continuing education, networking, and active participation in one or more professional associations.
- Focuses on Customers - works to exceed the expectations of internal and external customers.
- Produces Results – delivers projects on time with a high degree of accuracy.
- Manages Performance Effectively - achieves results through collaboration and strong task orientation.
- Uses Sound Business Judgment - uses knowledge of higher education practices and common sense to make the sound decisions.
- Builds Relationships - excels at building partnerships and fostering teamwork.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities include the following.
- Provides leadership and advocacy for the College’s research, data collection, analysis, reporting, institutional effectiveness, and assessment efforts.
- Provides data support and analysis for the College’s comprehensive strategic planning and budgeting processes.
- Supports College-wide institutional effectiveness activities including identification and measurement of key performance indicators and progress markers.
- Coordinates and conducts research related to institutional needs in areas of academic programs, student support services and staffing, including collecting, analyzing, and interpreting data.
- Writes technical reports, provides technical support for research projects, organizes and maintains data files.
- Stays abreast of statutory reporting requirements and IR standards. Recommends policies and/or implements procedures to ensure compliance with all federal, state and local laws and regulations.
- Produces the College’s Annual Report
- Provides supervision and direction for the IR Assistant consistent with College, Division, and Department objectives.
- Collects data, ensures data integrity, and generates reports to satisfy statutory reporting requirements.
- Organizes and summarizes data into useful and readable reports and presentations that can be understood by non-research audiences.
- Develops and conducts surveys and other research projects such as follow-up studies of graduates, employers’ satisfaction, employers’ workforce training needs and those of other relevant external constituencies.
- Represents the College at external data and institutional research meetings.
- Ability and endurance necessary to work the hours needed to complete the job.
- Regular attendance and participation at all mandatory meetings.
- Other job related duties as assigned.
Qualifications: To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Education and Experience:
- Bachelor’s degree in statistics, applied mathematics, computer science, or a closely related field
- Five years related experience including querying data and creating reports from complex and varied data sources
- Proficiency with SQL, relational database systems, software query tools, statistical packages, and data visualization tools required (e.g. TOAD, Crystal Reports, Tableau, SPSS)
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills with the ability to organize, problem solve, and collaborate in a diverse and fast-paced environment.
- Master’s in related field desired
- Experience with web-based survey tools
- Experience in institutional research and assessment in education
Language Skills: Ability to read, analyze, and interpret the most complex documents. Ability to respond effectively to the most sensitive inquiries or complaints. Ability to write reports, executive summaries, and articles using original or innovative techniques or style. Ability to make effective and persuasive presentations on controversial or complex topics to top management, public groups, and/or boards of directors.
- Ability to prepare internal and external agency data and follow-up reports in a timely and thorough manner.
- Ability to develop strong collegial relationships across the institution and among community constituencies.
Mathematical Skills: High Skills: Ability to work with mathematical concepts such as probability and statistical inference. Ability to apply concepts such as fractions, percentages, ratios, and proportions to practical situations.
Reasoning Ability: Ability to define problems, collect data, establish facts, and draw valid conclusions. Ability to interpret an extensive variety of instructions in various forms and deal with several abstract and concrete variables. Ability to analyze and report on survey data in ways useful for institutional improvement.
- Proficient with Microsoft SQL Server and SQL Management Studio.
- Proficient with Microsoft Office.
- Competence using SPSS or other statistical programs, data analysis/presentation software – Tableau or similar business intelligence tools.
- Understanding and/or experience with data warehousing a plus.
Certificates, Licenses, Registrations: Criminal Background Clearance
Other Qualifications: Able to travel for meetings, conferences as needed (minimal)
Physical Demands: The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this Job, the employee is regularly required to sit and talk or hear. The employee is frequently required to use hands to finger, handle, or feel. The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 10 pounds.
Work Environment:The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
The noise level in the work environment is usually quiet to moderate.
Salary ranges from mid to high $50’s and is dependent upon qualifications and experience.
BENEFITS: The College offers an extensive benefits package that includes medical, dental, and vision coverage to full-time employees and their dependents. Benefits package also includes short-term/long-term disability, retirement, life insurance, generous paid time off and 11 paid holidays. *The College does not offer relocation assistance at this time.*
To APPLY: Only online applications will be considered. For full consideration, a complete application package is required and must be emailed to email@example.com by 4:00 p.m., on Friday, June 13, 2014; however, applications will be accepted until the position is filled. A complete application package includes the following materials:
- A fully completed employment application which can be found by clicking the following link: http://www.pennhighlands.edu/forms/employment_application.pdf
- Separate cover letter
- Separate list of three (3) professional references (name, address, email address, and telephone number)
Please do not fax or mail any documentation. Official Transcripts are required prior to hire. Reference to a resume may not be substituted for a fully completed online employment application. Selected candidate is subject to a criminal background check as a condition of employment. Please include the title of the position to which you are applying in the subject line of your email.
Pennsylvania Highlands Community College Community College is an equal opportunity education institution and will not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, or disability in its activities, programs or employment practices as required by Title VI, Title IX and Section 504.